Move aside Tinder and Bumble; Facebook is bringing its Dating feature.
Last Friday, i.e. on the 3rd of August, The Verge as well as TechCrunch reported that Facebook is having a shot at its dating product.
This is just a test which is conducted internally, that is, among the employees of the company. It isn’t certain as to if and when the feature would be available for the public. But very soon, it can possibly be seen by all.
More details on Facebook’s Dating Feature –
A couple of months back, i.e. in May, at the F8 Developer Conference, Facebook had officially announced about their interest in the dating feature or product.
There hasn’t been any news on this feature until recently when an independent app researcher shared certain information on Twitter. This app researcher is known by the name Jane Manchun Wong, who is a frequent tipster. She found evidences as well as shared the screenshots by scouring the source code.
Based on this news, the CEO of Facebook – Mark Zuckerberg said the following at his keynote address –
“This is going to be for building real, long-term relationships and not just for hook-ups.
We have designed this with privacy and safety in mind from the beginning. Your friends aren’t going to see your profile, and you’re only going to be suggested to people who are not your friends.”
Dating will be 18+ only in the U.S. and abide by local laws on who is considered an “adult.”
More Insight –
The testing process as of now –
Certain screenshots shared by Jane mention the following regarding the employee testing procedure –
“This product is for US Facebook employees who have opted-in to dogfooding Facebook’s new dating product.
The purpose for this dogfooding is to test the end-to-end product experience for bugs and confusing UI. This is not meant for dating your coworkers.
Dogfooding this product is completely voluntary and has no impact on your employment.”
The supposed features that would be available –
- The sign-up flow, as shown by the screenshots, include gender specification, location specification, interested gender or matches you’re interested in, etc.
- Once you opt in to activating Facebook Dating, only other people who have also turned it on will be able to see you. It won’t be shared to your News Feed.
- You’ll unlock Groups or Events you’re a part of for Dating. This lets you be able to browse potential matches based on Facebook’s knowledge about you.
- If two people express interest in each other (no swiping), they can text each other. This can be done over Messenger or WhatsApp.
- Facebook is considering a limit on how many people you can express interest in. This would prevent a spammy behavior of rapidly approving everyone you see.
Nothing can be said upon the release of this dating feature to the public. This is because at times the testing might not be in favour of a release.
Also, due to Facebook’s current reputation on stake, the company is taking this step slowly as well as carefully.