For all those, who have less space on their phone or have slow internet connectivity, you have a blessing!
This is regarding the official worldwide launch of the Google’s lightweight search app – Google Go.
On the 20th of August, 2019, Google Go, a lightweight version of Google’s search app, is becoming available to all Android users worldwide. First launched in 2017 after months of beta testing, the app had been designed primarily for use in emerging markets where people are often accessing the internet for the first time on unstable connections by way of low-end Android devices.
What exactly is the Google Go Search App?
Google Go is a lighter, faster way to search, with search results optimized to save up to 40% data.
Get answers quickly and reliably with Google Go, even on slow connections and smartphones with low space. At 7 MB in size, it’s fast to download and saves space on your phone. Also Google says it will run on all Android devices running on Lollipop (5.0) and above.
Google says the app now has “millions” of users. Google also says it decided to launch the app globally, including in markets where bandwidth is not a concern, because it understands that everyone at times can struggle with problems like limited phone storage or spotty connections.
Plus, it’s a lightweight app for reading and translating text. At Google I/O, the company had noted there are more than 800 million adults worldwide who struggle to read — and, of course, not all are located in emerging markets.
- Type less, discover more. Save time by tapping your way through trending queries and topics, or by using your voice to say what you’re looking for.
- Make Google read it. Point your camera at text or listen to any web page. Words are highlighted as they are read, so you can easily follow along.
- Search and translate with your camera. See a word you don’t understand on a sign, form, or product? With Google Lens, just point your camera to translate or search for it.
- Everything you need in one app. Easily and quickly access your favorite apps and websites, as well as images, videos and information on the things you care about – all from Google Go.
- Don’t miss out on what’s popular and trending. Explore the latest trending topics just by tapping Search.
- Find the perfect greetings to share with loved ones. Tap on “Images” or “GIFs” to find the best photos and animated greetings to liven up your chats.
- Easily switch between languages. Set a second language to switch your search results to or from at any time.
More Insight –
Availability of Google Go –
Previously, Google Go was only available in a few countries on Android Go edition devices. According to data from Sensor Tower, it has been installed approximately 17.5 million times globally, with the largest percentage of users in India (48%). Its next largest markets are Indonesia (16%), Brazil (14%), Nigeria (6%) and South Africa (4%), Sensor Tower says.
In total, it has been made available to 29 countries on Android Go edition devices, including: Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Gabon, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Mali, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Philippines, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.