Rumour has it that one of the most widely used social media apps, Instagram would soon allow its users to post an hour long video.
What was the previous Instagram scenario based on videos?
Instagram was brought to light in 2010 by Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger. It was later bought by Facebook for $1 billion, in 2012.
Instagram has many features which turned out to be attractive to many, including celebrities. From the past 6 months it has an option for Instagram Stories much like Snapchat, which was also seen later in Facebook, Whatsapp, etc.
As mentioned in our previous post about Facebook, Facebook has been concentrating on videos and hence it’s not that big of a surprise if a long video option is available soon on Instagram. Previously, one can post 15 seconds of video on stories and 60 seconds of video as a post/upload.
Instagram also has a live video option but that isn’t considered same as a video upload for sure. And if someone wanted to post a longer video, then he/she must put hours of efforts in cropping the videos, saving each minute and later posting the videos in an order.
So an option like this would be a huge saviour for the ones to post longer videos and also for those who would love a YouTube feel on Instagram.
What exactly are the speculations?
Few days back, Wall Street Journal, had reported that Instagram is currently in talks with the content creators as well publishers regarding the same. The report also mentioned that this feature is not yet confirmed and is subjected to change.
TechCrunch, gave more insight on the issue with their own sources and the following could be noted if and when the rumours are true.
- The feature could be a huge hit among the 800 million plus monthly active users of Instagram.
- It could be a great platform for many and could even dominate over the likes of Snapchat or Google’s YouTube. This is sort of an exaggeration since YouTube allows hours and hours of video blogging. But with Instagram’s booming nature with the current generation, even 60 minutes might be able to grab more attention.
- This feature, if made, would be available within the app itself.
- Music Videos, Scripted shows, etc. would be overloaded on the Instagram feed.
- The videos would be for vertically oriented videos just like the Instagram stories.
- Instagram is said to be in talks with the launch partners for the announcements of these long-form videos and is reportedly scheduled by June 20th. (Which is not yet officially confirmed.)
- The creators and publishers would surely earn money from these long hour videos.
- Instagram would possibly have a collection of popular videos with “continue-watching” option.
- These long hour clips would mostly be available as highlights in the profile of the person near the story highlights.
- You wouldn’t be able to shoot the long videos, instead you could post or upload the pre-made videos.
- Instagram declined to comment on the matter but surely it has made the buzz to be among the video entertainment hub as well.
- There is no news on how the option would be available. It could a new feed or it could be a preview or it could come up as an own tab.
One could only wish to make this rumour true because unlike Facebook’s Watch, Instagram’s video would surely find more craze.
Hence watch out for your next Instagram updates in your play store and beware to use your Instagram apps longer when and if the feature is available!