Facebook’s WhatsApp has constantly laid its eyes on growing India’s flourishing e-payment services. It had started its testing with its in-app payments feature, in February, 2018. This was done in the beta mode of the app.
WhatsApp is the largest messaging app in India with over 200 million monthly active users. Since this week, WhatsApp has finally managed to roll out this payments feature to the Android as well as iOS users.
Although the non-beta users would probably have to wait for a few more days to use this feature.
More Information on WhatsApp’s new feature –
With the new payments feature, WhatsApp lets your send as well as receive money from any person, provided he / she is in your WhatsApp contact list.
This feature would basically work upon UPI, i.e. Unified Payments Interface of the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). UPI is a system that powers multiple bank accounts into a single mobile application (of any participating bank), merging several banking features, seamless fund routing & merchant payments into one hood.
It also caters to the “Peer to Peer” collect request which can be scheduled and paid as per requirement and convenience. Each Bank provides its own UPI App for Android, Windows and iOS mobile platforms.
More Insight –
What are the advantages of this new feature?
- Users wouldn’t have to worry about requiring an IFSC code in order to transfer money on WhatsApp Payment. (You would require just the basic virtual address).0
- It’s quite simple and easy to use by anyone.
- You could have the transaction take place anywhere and anytime. But it can be done only if the person (to whom you want to transfer the amount) is having WhatsApp’s Payments feature.
- Once that is ensured, WhatsApp will be automatically able to fish out the account number linked to your phone number. It will then ask you to set up a UPI ID. If you have one then you’ll just need to enter you VPA and verify your debit card.
- A proof of the transfer, much like a receipt will be seen in Payment Notification on both the sender’s as well as receiver’s WhatsApp chat screens.
How to use WhatsApp’s Payments feature?
Step 1) Make a UPI account.
Step 2) Launch WhatsApp.
Step 3) Go to Settings > Tap on Payments > Select New Payments > Select the contact (to whom you want to send/receive money) > Enter the amount of cash > Select UPI Pin > Click on Send.
Thus, with WhatsApp’s competitors like Tez, Paytm, etc., this feature can indeed be very useful once it’s available to all.