Twitter has deleted 1000 plus of bot or Automated accounts. Twitter has taken this step throughout September and early October. Most of the tweets are expected to receive from democrats encouraging US voters. However, these accounts were banned by Democratic Congressional Campaign committee (DCCC). The doubtful tweet was first noticed by DCCC group.
Who are Democratic Congressional Campaign committee group (DCCC)?
A group that give assistance to United States house of representatives and afterwards bring in notice of Twitter. “We removed a series of accounts for engaging in attempts to share disinformation in an automated fashion – a violation of our policies. We stopped this quickly and at its source,” said by spokesperson from Twitter.
“For elections this year we have established open lines of communication and direct easy escalation paths for statute election officials, DHS, and campaign organizations from both major parties,” a Twitter representative said.
Tools to identify the automated accounts:
Both the tools are manufactured by computer researchers at the University of Indiana. Both program allows users to spot automated ‘Bot’ accounts and to identify how the information has spread on particular scenario. Likewise, Twitter is also trying to figure out such combat bots.Similarly, Twitter removed 70 millions of accounts in the past few months. The suspension rate of the accounts for the month of October is more as compare to the month of May and June.
Reduction of visibility of suspicious accounts:
- Twitter started updating account metrics in near time.
- As an instance the total number of tweets an account has and number of likes that gets updated correctly once Twitter will take the action.
We are working on improvement of logging in process:
- A new account detail will require to confirm the account it can be email address or phone number as well.
Detection of mischievous behavior
- Twitter also planning to automate the login process where if they find some suspicious activities that can be detected and flagged and some action should be taken on the same.
- Such as, adding reCAPTCHA process or password reset process. This will reduce the malicious behavior on twitter.
In the past, Twitter has deleted millions of such accounts due to elections. However, Twitter’s head of site integrity Yoel Roth, said about the difficulty to figure out bot accounts.
We’ve recently seen research about so-called ‘’bots’’ and misinformation on twitter. And wanted to share our perspective on why findings that might seem remarkable at first are likely inaccurate. We’re working on a more detailed explanation, but some comments for now.
“We removed a series of accounts for engaging in attempts to share disinformation in an automated fashion – a violation of our policies. We stopped this quickly and at its source, said by Twitter.