What are fad diets?
As the term ‘fad’ denotes fashion that doesn’t last long, or temporary fashion, a fad diet is a fancy or fashionable diet that claims to make you lose weight by following a diet which isn’t based on scientific evidence and can have negative consequences to your body.
How do fad diets work?
Basically fad diets include fancy food items and lack basic staples which are the main source of our energy. Since it isn’t based on nutritional studies, it can’t be followed on a long-term basis and can severely impact our health.
How to identify fad diets?
Following are some of the indications of a fad diet:
1. Claiming to make you lose weight in unrealistic time. Ex- 10 kgs in one month
2. Endorsed by celebrities or on social media (not by any nutritionist).
3. Recommendations of purchasing any particular brand products.
4. Suggesting elimination of any integral part of diet such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains or dairy.
5. Recommendations made without keeping in mind an indivual’s body or pre existing conditions.
Should you follow fad diets?
Even though some of the fad diets work great, most of them aren’t healthy to follow. Thus, you should get your diet made from a certified nutritionist or not follow any fad diet and instead rely on keeping yourself active by exercising and reducing the consumption of processed food.