WHAT IS WWDC?
WWDC stands for World-Wide Developers Conference. It isn’t a normal conference, rather WWDC is one of the major software developers’ conference held by Apple annually in California. It was started in the year 1998 and was conducted by Steve Jobs. It is now continued by the successor – Tim Cook.
This year, the WWDC is held from June 4th – June 8th at the San Jose’s McEnery Convention Centre. The tickets are provided to a selected few through a lottery process and were charged $1,599. The registrations was ended on the 22nd of March.
As usual the conference would start with a Keynote address from Tim Cook at 1 PM (ET).
Although WWDC involves software development solely but it was seen in the WWDC 2017, there were few hardware developments as well that were mentioned; hence it could be the same case in the WWDC 2018.
But, Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman mentions that hardware updates are at a minimal this year, leading to the comparatively lesser speculations on WWDC 2018. Yet, let’s not assume any news as Tim Cook’s keynote might consist the MacBook Air, HomePod, iMac-Pro with Face-ID, AirPower Charger, iPhone SE, iOS12, Apple TV and most importantly about the growing fears over smart-phone addiction.
So, let’s have a look at the various expectations from the WWDC 2018.
2.1. POSSIBLE SOFTWARE UPDATES
- iOS12:- In 2017, Apple introduced iOS11 which unfortunately had few blunders in recent times. WWDC 2018, as usual has a new upgrade in iOS, which is the much awaited iOS12. iOS12 would not have any major changes with additional features; rather it involves purely a debugging to the iOS11.
It could also involve Face ID, Animojis in FaceTime, enhanced Do Not Disturb as well as Siri features, augmented reality (AR), etc.
- MacOS 10.14:- One of the major rumours is of MacOS which would be a boon to many Mac users. MacOS was first introduced in WWDC2017 but WWDC 2018 involves a deeper cross platform compatibility which would make the various iOS apps available on the Macs. Unfortunately, no other updates were available and you must sit tight till the keynote of WWDC 2018.
- TVOS12:- TVOS 11 was not well known on stage but everyone still fancies the TVOS. The latest TVOS12 would possibly involve Amazon since their tie-up with Apple is now official. Also, good news for movie-craze-people is that Apple is rumoured to take Netflix as well! More information might not be known as of yet. But it sure maintains to hold its usual TV broadcast since they have spent almost $1 billion till date.
- WatchOS5:- Apple watches also raise speculations among all. Everyone are very much confused as to what to expect with this, apart from the leaked Pride faced/Rainbow flag faced features which would be available right after the keynote address. Another rumour is regarding the fact that Spotify would be available along with StreamKit!
- ARKit: – Apple has always loved Augmented Reality. WWDC 2018 could involve a feature wherein Augmented Reality could be shared, i.e. many people could be a part of the same augmented reality game or world. Rumour also says that Apple has started its work on the combination of AR-VR headset which would possibly release in 2020.
2.2. POSSIBLE HARDWARE UPDATES
- iMac PRO, MacBook Air & MacBook PRO: – There would be lesser updates on these two categories since the latest iMac Pro was shipped in December 2017. Also, due to the failures of the butterfly style keys, there could be just an upgrade to eight gen Intel-Processors and in RAM.
- iPad Models:-In WWDC 2018, there could be a new model or even two models of the iPads. This is a supported rumour since one of them made their debut earlier in March.
- HomePod: – HomePods are facing difficulty due to its competition with Google and Amazon. HomePod speakers were announced in WWDC 2017 and rumour has it that Apple would introduce smaller as well as cheaper models in WWDC 2018 along with the rumoured over the ear headphones.
- iPhone SE 2:- Normally iPhones are not introduced in the WWDC but the long awaited iPhone SE 2 could be seen in the WWDC 2018. Possibly.
- AirPower: – AirPower, the wireless-charging-mat was introduced last year along with iPhone8 & iPhoneX. The launch date could mostly be witnessed in the keynote address.
- Apple+Beats: – Speculations involved cheaper HomePods, but the alternative could be a Beats by Dre – branded speakers with obviously a Siri-integration. This product would not be branded as HomePod and would be priced about $250 to $100 lesser than the usual HomePods.
Clearly there are loads to look forward at the WWDC 2018. So, sit tight back and find out which of the above rumours were true and which weren’t!