“How you doing”, the trademark dialogue said by the FRIENDS star – Joey, was and still is the trendiest dialogue. But behold, because here comes the new trend – WYD, i.e. “What You Doing”.
What is WYD?
‘What You Doing’ is the latest app launched for iOS users. It is a very interesting app that lets you search via emojis on your maps!
Yes, you heard that right. Gone are the days when you used to find places through the physical maps. But now with WYD, you can also say gone are the days when you would waste time on your maps app by typing out where you want to go.
Jason Buchel is the founder as well as developer of the app. It was launched in the month of February and supports the Apple devices of version iOS and more across 50 states.
WYD has plenty of creative features which is attracting more and more users as the days are passing by since its launch. Within just 2 months of the launch, WYD received more than 10,000 downloads.
How does WYD work?
Once you allow WYD to access your location, the bottom of the interface is WYD’s defining feature which is a cute map pin with an emoji head. This emoji head opens a keyboard filled with various emojis defining the various stuffs that you can do around you. For example, it includes – coffee, donuts, pancakes, cucumber (for vegan), rainbow (gay bars), gyms, parks, salons, music, hospitals, etc.
- Jason says, “WYD is working to redefine maps by making them personal, visual, and fun.”
- Compared to the default Apple maps app, WYD uses a streamlined interface.
- You need to just click on the emojis of what you feel like doing or where you feel like going, and WYD will do the rest.
- You could also operate it like the normal maps app, by typing out the location.
- Another interesting and attractive feature is the way you can share your favourite locations with your friends and much like any social media app, you can follow each other and find out new places as well as send them a quick message.
- It also shows Yelp reviews (not sure how trustworthy the reviews are though), contact details, directions, make reservations and an option to save the location as well.
- WYD also allows links to Instagram, which gives an option for more up-to-date images than the images available with in-app integrations.
It does have few glitches or bugs, which is quite common with a new app. And as Jason mentions, they are concentrating on updating this iOS version for now. But yes, they are planning on an Android version in the near future.
It’s quite soon to tell if the app will dominate default apps, if it’s faster than the default maps app, and other such questions.
What you can do is, just click here to download the app and check it out for yourself.