Ever want to take a tour of your favorite beauty vlogger’s apartment? Or maybe learn a new recipe from a TV chef? Or watch your news as if you were in the middle of the action? YouTube VR app lets you experience that sort of content. YouTube VR is a standalone app built from the ground up and optimized for VR. With it, you can watch any video on YouTube. All videos provide an immersive VR experience, whether it’s 360-degree video or a standard video shown in a cinema-style mode. The app, which is launching first for the Daydream View headset, also features voice search and the ability to subscribe to channels.
How does YouTube VR work?
- Download the Daydream app on a compatible Android phone. You may be asked to update your software, as it requires the Daydream support included in the Android 7.1 Nougat update.
- Download the YouTube VR app for Android.
- Open the Daydream app, then go to the slide-out menu from the right and tap library. There, you will see the YouTube VR app.
- Tap it to launch the app. You’ll be asked to place your compatible phone into the Daydream headset.
- Keep in mind you can also just slip your compatible phone into the headset to automatically launch the Daydream interface, where you’ll see your installed apps.
- Use the Daydream View controller to select an app.
- Once you’ve entered the YouTube app and signed into your account, you will see suggested videos and options to search.
- Use your controller to navigate and turn up volume.
What is Oculus Go?
Oculus Go is a cordless headset from Oculus. It has a new mesh foam interface, and it supposedly has the best visual clarity so far seen in VR. This is a standalone headset, meaning the computer is inside headset with display, but it’s still an Android-powered headset. It runs many of the apps currently available for the Gear VR.
Of course, this product isn’t perfect. However, like any VR headset, wearing it for too long presents comfort issues. And while the multi-hour battery life is impressive, it goes fast.
The Go barely takes up more room than a set of ski goggles. It can fit in a drawer, rather than requiring a closet. It takes seconds to put on and get started. It’s easy. It’s rewarding. It charges via a standard phone charger.
YouTube launched its VR app on Oculus Go. The app will be available in the Oculus store. The app was originally exclusive to smartphones, either through the low-tech Google Cardboard or the mobile Google Daydream View. We will have to wait and see if YouTube launched this to Oculus Quest.